GTV6 A/C

Since this is the 'hot' time of the year and there has been some discussion
lately regarding A/C systems in our favorite vehicles, I was wondering if
any fellow digesters could comment on how effective the original (81 - 84?)
 GTV6 A/C systems were as opposed to the later Tropic Aire systems?
Any input on replacing the original York compressors with later model
Sanden or Seiki-Seiko compressors?
R12 vs R134 conversions?

If one was going to overhaul the A/C system on a 1981 GTV6 - any
reccomendations?

Its' getting awfully hot down here!

TIA
Frank