Re: Newbie Questions - 74 GTV

(See below)

Andy Newell wrote:

>I'm the proud new owner of a '74 GTV and I've got a few questions which I
>haven't found in any FAQs or the mostly illegible owner's manual...  If
>anyone can offer any help I'd appreciate it.
>
>1.  This car has non-functioning A/C.  Is there any reason I should keep
>the system in place? It seems to me to be a silly dealer option offered to
>the US for marketing reasons. Now it's dead weight.  Are there additional
>parts/blanking plates/belts I'll need in order to revert to non-A/C?

God! What a perceptive newbie! Move to the head of the class. ;=) Yes, the
AC is junk. I'm not the expert on removal, but I think all you should be
left with are some large studs sticking out from the front of the head.

>2.  Is there really no way to lock the doors from the inside?  The owners
>manual implies there isn't. Strange.

The older ones used to lock by pressing down on the door handle.

>3.  The oil pressure at idle is bottom quarter of the gauge; at speed it's
>just below 55.  That seems low.  It's 200,000 mi old, so I'm expecting to
>rebuild the engine. Should it be a priority?

For a 200,000 mile motor, that oil pressure is fine. Be glad the sender
still works. Some have said these electric gauges are more for driver
entertainment than information. When you rebuild the motor, make sure the
crank is tapped for setscrews in the oil passages. The factory crank plugs
tend to fall out on the 2 liters. If they had, your oil pressure would be
a lot lower.

>4.  Are valve cleaner fuel additives (eg Techron, RedLine) considered
>harmful to SPICA FI?

No, AFAIK. MTBE is another matter. Also make sure the Spica oil and filter
get changed.

>5.  Despite the PO's claim of "recent tuneup", I have a warm start problem.
>It cranks but won't catch, but will fire when push started. Now, with a
>turbocharged Saab, you can hardly finish saying "it runs roughly" before
>everyone in the room yells "vacuum leak!"  Is there a similar
>SPICA-for-dummies "this happens all the time" answer?

Yes, it's called a thermostatic actuator, or TA. There are certainly better
Spica experts on this Digest, but finding a competent shop in your area
will be a big help. Get Pat Braden's Alfa Romeo Owners Bible.

Good luck with your new Italian mistress!