re: Bubbles

Fred DiMatteo wrote a couple of days ago,

"If you see bubbles in the coolant expansion tank while the engine is
running, it is telling you there is an exhaust leak into he coolant system,
probably a cracked head near an exhaust valve seat.  Ask me how I know."

My comment is:

I know, from the old days (before cross-flow radiators, and expansion tanks,
for that matter) that if you had an exhaust leak into the cooling system,
that you could watch the bubbles as they sped across your line of vision in
the top tank of the radiator.  I wasn't aware that the bubbles would make it
over to the expansion tank.  I guess it makes sense; I just never ran the
logic to that conclusion.

Jay Negrin
ARO Southern California