Re: bonded-in windshields

John Hertzman wrote:

>WADR, AFIK this is backwards or at least sideways. None of the pre-Alfetta
>Alfas which used bonded windshields did it for structural reasons; the
>Berlinas and GT Veloces were designed with gasketed windshield and the bonded
>windshields were fitted in the USA (but not, I believe, in any other market)
>strictly as a glass retention expedient in case of accidents. The Alfetta was
>very definitely engineered to use a bonded-in windshield which forms part of
>the structural rigidity of the car, according to Italian publications at the
>time, and used them from 1972 until the 2000 was introduces in 1977. With the
>'78 the Alfetta reverted to gasketed windshields, but with detailing and
>material selection which made them much more secure and probably somewhat
>contributory to the structure.

My imperfect understanding is that the only 105 series cars to have bonded
in screens were US spec, which is in accord with John's comment.  I have to
disagree with John's second sentence.  The AlfaSud, which was definitely
pre-Alfetta, used a bonded screen for structural rigidity.  Whether the
AlfaSud is regarded as an Alfa or not, is an entirely different matter.  If
having a quart-sized heart and soul in a pint-sized car is relevant, then
it is.

Cheers
Mat