Hard Starting Spider

Greetings all.

So I have a technical question.

My 84 Spider is having trouble starting. Mostly when it's hot.
I had it on the highway for a run last night. Parked it for 10 minutes
afterwards. Went out to start it and it turned over but wouldn't catch.
It finally started when I pressed hard on the gas pedal, which I never do
because it's fuel injected.
Anyway, it started but was running very rough for about 20 seconds. Then it
was fine. There is no hesitation while driving. Performance is the same. But
now the exhaust is very poppy, like the car's running too rich. I mean very
very poppy.

The idle is also too high now -- about 1500.

I tried starting it this morning from cold. It went with some reluctance but
not as much when it was hot. And there was no need to press the gas. But it
was running rough. I also think I could smell gas fumes as I did before.

Any thoughts?
Thermo-time switch?
Something else?
Thanks in advance.