hard starting spider

Jon Finkelstein's spider does not want to start when it is hot.  From what
he says, I suspect the auxiliarry air device is not opening fully.  On the
other hand, he smells gas and it runs rough after hefinall gets it started.
I must suggest that he crank only for not over 5 seconds before pulling one
or two spark plugs.  If the plugs are wet = too much fuel.  Too dry = not
enough fuel.  If the auxiliary6 air device is not closing right after
starting. the idle speed will be high.  Guessing is not the best way to
solve a problem, testing does.  Dig out your workshop manual.  Fred Di
Matteo