Spider Brake Pad Changes

In lieu of the problems Alan had with compressing the caliper pistons on his
164, can someone tell me what to expect  on a 87 Spider?  Can the pistons be
pushed back into the caliper housing or do they need to be screwed in?

I'm in the middle of replacing the rear brake pads on my Spider and need to
know what tools I'll need to complete the job.  BTW, the Spider shop manual
from IAP says to use a "suitable tool to replace the pistons in the
calipers" under the instructions for pad replacement (both front and rear).
The instructions under caliper reassembly indicate that the pistons are to
be rotated into positon with a suitable caliper.  When I had everything
apart for pad inspection yesterday, I was thinking 'push back the pistons'.
I didn't notice any special keys to use a tool to 'rotate' or screw the
piston back, but then I wasn't looking for them.

Any help clearifying these instructions is greatly appreciated.

This group has been a great help to this new Alfa owner.  The car goes into
the shop for new flex and U-joints next week.  After that, I should be on
the road with no more than the 'usual' creaks and groans.  I may tackle the
flex joint myself depending on the estimate to have it done.  Right now time
is a premium for me and the beautiful spring weather is starting to slip
into the really hot summer weather of central Virginia.

Thanks

Brad