Re: Removing GTV-6 Valve Cover

Joe wrote:

>I need to replace the valve cover gasket on the driver's side valve cover
on
>my '85 GTV-6. Is there any trick to removing the valve cover bolt that's
>beneath the brake booster? I can't get my socket wrench in there, and my
>closed end wrenches are apparently too thick to fit snugly around the bolt
>head. Is removal of the booster the only solution?

I remove mine with the box end of a regular old Craftsman combination
wrench.  Even though the Craftsman wrench is rather chubby, with the wrench
pointed at the firewall, the box end slips down over the head of the bolt
just enough to get a proper grip.  A better wrench, with a thinner box wall
will work better, but the real trick is to engage the bolt with the wrench
pointed toward the firewall.

Rich Wagner
Montrose, CO
'82 GTV6 Balocco