Flywheel lockers

In AD7-780 Robert Watson writes "I am looking for a US supplier for a Tool
that can slip over a stud in the rear of the engine block (with transmission
removed) to lock the fly wheel in place.  I have seen this tool used on Alfa
blocks before, but I am unsure of source. Any leads?"

I don't know whether Snap-On or Mac Tools may have a onesizefitzall flywheel
locking tool, but Alfa has a tool (old number A.2.0145, post-Fiat number
182007) which has six stud and/or dowel holes to accommodate all upright
fours and sixes (and Montreal) as well as the ironblock 2000 and 2600, with
transmission removed. List price was $46.86 a few years ago.

In addition there are several tools to lock the flywheel in-car; A.2.0260 for
1600s and I believe 1300s, A.2.0261 for 1750 and 2000, A.2.0290 for Alfetta,
A.2.0366 for Milano and GTV-6, A.20329 for Giulia diesels, A.20257 for
Alfasud. The ones for which I have prices list under $25. Anyone who can
order Alfa parts should be able to order Alfa tools.

Then there are DIY tools. Fred Di Matteo wrote "Years ago when I did not have
the right tools, I was able to remove that nut (the cranknut) using a heavy
duty short screwdriver inserted through the bell housing hole I drilled in
line with the ring gear.  My hydraulic jack pressed it firmly in place and it
held beautifully while I easily backed off the cranknut with the socket on a
half inch breaker bar.  Sometimes one does not want to spend a lot of time on
such a job and the need arises for a shortcut."  He did not add that this
sort of improvisation can be less expensive also. None of these factory
special tools are things which could not be approximated ad-hoc.

A Portello-partisan friend once gave me what-for for referring to the upright
fours as "nord" engines, a usage I picked up from 'Sud friends on the digest;
in his proper view there are Alfa Romeos and there are Alfasuds- no suds, no
nords, no just Alfas. I was interested to note that the tool bulletin on
these flywheel lockers does use "Alfanord" as a term for "(Alfetta, Giulia,
etc.)", so the usage did have some currency in Milan, at least in the Arese
era.

John H.
Raleigh, N.C.