Re: alfa-digest V7 #778

owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

<< Tonight I drove my 1992 Spider Veloce home from the supermarket. I've had
 intermediate problems with the dashboard lighting. Tonight the dashboard
 lights wouldn't come on. I flicked from off to standby to headlights and
 back several times. Finally the dashboard was illuminated and I drove off
 not realizing that I was driving on standby lights, not headlights (besides
 that the right standby light bulb was burnt out). I hate to be honked at....
 In the car port I not only realized that the front right standby light was
 dead but that if the dashboard lighting is dead, the standby lights don't
 work either unless I manage to get the headlights going. Is this a
 "Johnny's Disco" syndrome or a serious concern about driving my vehicle at
 night???

 Martin
 1992 Spider Veloce >>

Here is some ancient advice that just might work, based on similar, recurring
experiences on my 71 spider.

Sounds like a ground problem, and the one that gave me trouble was easy to
fix with no tools (other than thumbs and some abrasive material) was in the
driver's side tail light fixture.

Sometimes on my Alfas (except the Milano) a lamp will appear to be burned
out, but on checking something is preventing a good electrical contact.
Sometimes it is as easy as taking the bulb out, wiping the contacts on your
clean jeans, and reseating it.  Sometimes you have to fashion a little tool
from a paper clip and pry up the thin flexible contact strips for the bottom
of the bulb base to make sure it's staying in contact with the bulb.

Alfa owners will do anything to avoid spending US $0.99 for a new bulb
(except if you have a late model spider and come to find the grain of wheat
halogens for the 3rd brake light are US $60. a set!).

This is all easy to do and if it doesn't fix your problem you will be no
worse off and you will be on more intimate terms with the car.

Best luck!

Charlie
El Lay