More on Willow Springs and 164s

     This is from Randall Higa.  He is having trouble posting to the Digest
     for some reason.

     I also attended ARO Southern California Time Trial and Race event over
     the holiday weekend at Willow Springs Raceway as previously mentioned
     in posts by Jess Liao and Charlie Schwartz.  I had a fabulously fun
     time on the track running in the Time Trial Group.  There was a great
     bunch of people and great bunch of Alfas.  I was one of those "sports
     cars" (1974 GTV with Yokohama 032s, minor suspension mods, stock
     motor) that got whupped by Charlie Thieriot in his 164 shedding M+S
     tires, scored front brake rotors, and stock brake pads (we are both in
     Class D).  This was not the first time either!  Charlie is a great
     driver, but the 164 is one amazing car.  I've had numerous chances to
     drive 164s at Willow Springs and don't feel too badly about being beat
     by one (well, OK, MAYBE just a little bit). Sigh...Perhaps, it's time
     to go back to drivers school.....

     By the way, I don't disagree with your assessment of Charlie, but I
     will say that he also soundly whupped me at the old Las Vegas track a
     few years ago. It is full curves with very few, short straights.  He
     had incredibly hard OEM tires and managed to out corner me and my GTV.
      Amazingly, I pulled him on the straights - I guess the 164 needs a
     bit of distance to get up to full steam.  The primary weak point of
     the 164 on the track seems to be the brakes.

     Randall