Re: Radiators and belt covers

Yeah, I know this is like my umpteenth post...but I've just now read a
couple more I have to respond to...

Regarding radiators (purists stop reading here): Before sealing my
Milano's radiator with JB Weld to fix a leak, I had a radiator shop
evaluate the situation. They felt refurbishing was not an option due
to the plastic tanks. Their price on a new unit was higher than mail
order -- but to their credit, those good ol' boys had never seen a
Milano before. Their solution was, "let us make you a new one with
metal tanks and triple tubing (they insisted it would provide double
the cooling ability)...it will be superior to any stock radiator and
probably outlast the car." Their price for such a beast was about
$250. This might prove to be a valid alternative to those
plastic-tanked units. (For those interested, this shop was located in
Hurst, TX, right across the highway from Bell Helicopter's main
plant...these guys KNEW radiators -- they wouldn't even evaluate mine
until they'd boiled and cleaned it, then they apologized for not
providing a better solution -- they charged me nothing but I insisted
on paying them $20 for their trouble. They even showed me where and
how to apply the JB Weld.)

Regarding belt covers: Frankly I like to keep the belt where I can see
it. The Jensen-Healeys had no covers at all as I recall. Only now,
after over 6K miles, I've decided to re-fit new covers as I'm fully
convinced that no oil is leaking from my hydraulic tensioner or any
point that could cause a collection that would affect the belt.
(Actually no oil is leaking from any point at all.) The only thing to
bear in mind with running naked is that a single bit of gravel could
ruin your whole day.

Signing off for the night, (do I hear sighs of relief?)

- -Eric Hambleton, Clearwater, FL
1983 GTV6 -- Felicite