Re: Milano Clutch Bleed

In a message dated 5/31/99 3:08:18 PM Central Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

>  I've also read a few comments from other car groups (notably B*W) where one
>  guy said that he has no clutch but then "I pump the pedal a bunch of times,
>  go away a few minutes, pump a few more times and then have a clutch" go
>  figure!
>
>  There must be some arcane technical explanation for this situation, but in
>  the meantime,
>  "May the Force be with us"

This is not as arcane as it seems.  I have had the same problem with my
Alfetta which, as you know, uses the same clutch system.  Here is what has
worked for me...3 times.  Using whatever method you choose, I used a pressure
bleeder, get in enough that you can just operate the clutch.  I had to press
the pedal all the way to the floor to get enough travel to barely release the
clutch.  Then, just seal up the system and drive it.  I found that over 24-48
hours the system kinda "self bleeds" and the pedal will gradually come back
to normal.  Really, this has worked for me 3 times.  Just be gentle and give
it a day or two and all will be well.  Of course the problem is that the
bleed nipple on the slave cylinder is facing down.  I think that as the car
is driven and used the residual bubble in the slave just works its way out.
Sounds silly but has worked for me.

Jerry in Houston