Re: Milano Clutch Assembly

At 11:41 AM 5/26/99 -0700, Nelson wrote:
>Hopefully someone can help me with this problem.  I replaced the clutch on
>my Milano with a balanced "Clutch Assembly".  After putting everything back
>together, the car now vibrates at around 3000 RPMs.  This had never happened
>before.  When I reassembled the shaft, I made sure to place all parts in the
>original position.  I painted each part with a different color.  I also
>replaced the center donut after noticing the vibration, because when I first
>put it together I had noticed that the donut was cracked, but since I didn't
>have the part at that moment, I decided to replace it some other time.
>Well, the vibration is still the same.  It happens when I am about to hit
>3000 RPMs, and it doesn't stop until I let go of the accelerator.  I've
>exchanged emails with the company that sold it to me, and they say that they
>had never heard of a Clutch Assembly not being balanced.  They suggested I
>check other things.  But the way I look at it, how come after ONLY replacing
>the clutch assembly, the vibration started?  Anyway, luckily, I don't use

I have exactly the same problem, with an original alfa (=sachs) clutch. I
also asked the digest, got no reactions. One possible cause that I could
think of is play in the pilot bearing between rear half of driveshaft and
clutch shaft, or a damaged clutch shaft spider (that the giubo bolts onto).
I managed to reduce the vibration significantly by balancing the driveshaft
with two worm-drive hose clamps, but this is not totally satisfactory.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Best, Jaap Bouma (Netherlands)
'87 GTV6 2.5 Grand Prix