Re: ride height

> Lore is that spring length (or ride height, presumably altered by
> spring length) was raised by 1" for US spec spiders in 75 or so.

The ride height was definitely raised between my original '71 1750 Spider
and the '76 versions onwards to accomodate bumper height regulations. I
don't know about '75, but probably so. Exactly what was changed I'm not
sure ... seems to me my '78 and '79 cars had spacers in the front spring
seats and longer rear springs, the front springs were probably different
as well. The upper control arm on the raised cars is also different, to
keep the geometry of the front end constant.

I fitted the IAP spring set in my cars, which lowers them about an inch
which is what I feel is pretty close to the '71 was (although the rear
seems a little lower than I recall). I also installed adjustable upper
control arms so the front end camber adjustment could be made to
accomodate the lowered ride height. Add a set of red Konis, crank the
front damping up to 2/3 maximum and the rear damping at full soft, align
the front end with 1 degree negative camber, as much negative caster as
possible (around 2.5 degrees) and 1/32-1/16 toe-in, and it feels almost
identical to the old 1750 as well. (I still have to go the rest of the way
and get ride of the overly heavy bumpers ... the fiberglass replacements
are sitting in the garage waiting to be fitted. Then it will feel right
again! :)

Godfrey
  Housekeeper to the FrankenSpider