Re:164 L v S, can you imagine? (rpm's at speed)

On Wed, 26 May 1999, Sedon, Doug (OD/ORS) wrote:

> differing tastes, i guess...

Perhaps so.  I regard 4000 as too high for loafing along.  Something like
holding an engine at 5000, no-load.

(For that matter, I disagree with max rpm at max speed even for racing
(long stretches).  The power demanded to overcome friction/drag increases
with speed.  The power output of an engine climbs toward a peak, but then
falls-off.  For the highest top speed, the engine should be at max output,
not red-line.  If the engine will red-line in top gear, a higher gearing
would give a higher top speed.)

r.m.bies