coil-overs in place of T-bars?

In AD7-750 Ron Ewing proposes replacing the torsion bars on a 116 chassis
with coil-overs. The ES30 had coils replacing the shocks, but that was done
by Alfa engineers who were modifying new; I would be leery of doing it at
home on a twenty year old chassis. The 105/115 cars had a substantial
crossmember linking the two sides of the front suspensions; the 116 ties the
ends of the two torsion bars together at mid-chassis. Coil-overs would be
putting all of the front suspension loadings into members which were designed
to take the shocks only, and which are not at all directly tied together. Not
wise. I would suggest taking advantage of what is there before winging
'improvements'.

John H.