Re: Apologies are called for digest V7 #735

Hi everyone

I've just been reminded in the kindest possible way that one should be very
careful when choosing what to post to this Digest (or anywhere else that's
public!). The recent rash of political postings has at least provided this
opportunity for all of us to be much more diplomatic.

My posting to digest #735 could have been construed as a personal assertion
that someone  unnamed was an Ugly American or an Ugly Canadian. I
unreservedly apologize to anyone who unfortunately misunderstood my remarks
in that way. I was motivated by the opposite feeling. Someone else made a
posting about Ugly Americans ( an interesting novel by the way, "The Ugly
American", about Americans in South East Asia I believe pre Viet Nam) and I
in my misguided way tried to reciprocate by pointing out that lack of
diplomacy,shall we say, is by no means restricted to Americans. Every
nation has it's share of "Uglies"

Funny thing though, most "uglies" are more perceived than real. Practicing
law for over 20 years has taught me that most people are honest and
forthright, wanting to get along. Failure to communicate effectively causes
most cases of Uglies, almost always unwarranted.

So. Can I suggest we make our personal remarks directly and privately to
the person concerned. If we have a genuine concern about the reliability of
a fellow Alfa enthusiast, be they a commercial supplier or an individual,
can we agree to refrain from publishing more than the bare facts desirable
for everyone's interest and only after pursuing the personal route to an
unsatisfactory conclusion. This digest is about sharing accurate
information for everyone's benefit.

PS Yes, I know, I'm taking up far too much space. I'm done, I'll just read
for a while. Sorry, hope you're all using fast modems.
Michael Smith
Calgary, Alberta
Canada
91 Alfa 164L, White, original owner