Re: Fraud on the Digest

On May 20,  3:15pm, Dave Partridge wrote:

> Having purchased a couple of items off the Digest I feel compelled to
> offer some sort of help. Myself I used Postal Money orders to speed
> the sellers (they wanted my check to clear first) but ignoring that,
> isn't there some sort of law governing using the Postal Service
> for fraud?
> The check traveled through the US postal service did it not?
> Maybe this wouldn't be covered under those regulations, I don't know.
> Anyone out there have a deeper comprehension than myself of the
> Postal Service?
> I wouldn't like to think that we are all helpless against such acts.

I don't know what constitutes mail fraud, but there are alternative ways to
protect yourself when buying from or selling to individuals by mail.  UPS (and
possibly others) offer a COD type service, although this leaves open the risk
that the buyer will refuse the part and you get stuck with the delivery charge.
 I have also heard secondhand of cases where UPS has conveniently delievered
the package but "lost" the payment, although personally I cannot see how this
could be defended against in court, since IMO if they don't give you your
package back, they owe you the value, period.  Let the lawyers argue that one.

However, there are also internet services which allow you to do such a deal.  I
think that the buyer sends cash to this company, which holds it until the buyer
confirms that the package was received from the seller, who then receives the
money.  Of course they charge a commission for this service, but it is probably
not all that much money for the piece of mind.  Try these URL's:

http://www.trade-direct.com/
http://www.thirdpartyexchange.com/

Disclaimer:  I have no personal experience with either of these outfits, so try
at your own risk.  Also no associations, yadda yadda...

Hope this is useful to someone.  If you decide to try one of these, please let
the list know how it works out.

Dave J.
1982 GTV-6

- --