Re: Piston - valve kissing

In a message dated 5/20/99 2:42:14 PM Central Daylight Time,
drsavage@domain.elided writes:

<<  The problem I'm having, is that
 none of these folks can guarantee that the timing hadn't skipped to begin
 with.

Rich,

I sent this message to Fred off digest.

The last time a jumped the belt I was NOT working on the engine. The engine
had not been touched in months, but I had checked the visually checked the
tensioner adjustment a couple of days before, as I was going to do a valve
job in a couple of weeks. I was disconnecting the drive shaft at the clutch
yoke in order to lower the transaxle. I am left handed and slightly dyslexic,
so despite the fact that I avoid rotating the engine backwards I did. As soon
as I realized what I had done I turned it forward and found, as Mike Harris
outlined in his post, that I reached a hard stop against the valves. The
passenger side cam had slipped two notches.

I have repeated this scenario a couple of times when disconnecting /
reconnecting the driveshaft.

<<

The type of skipping I have found is this:

When I turn the engine backwards the ratchet of the tensioner releases. When
I then start turning it correctly the slack is between the crank pulley past
the tensioner to the passenger cam. The belt is still in tension between the
driver cam and the crank pulley. As I continue to turn the force of the belt
is not high enough on the passenger cam and it slips. Depending on how hard
or fast I am turning the driveshaft (in my experiences) the passenger cam
will slip one or two teeth. If it slips two I have found that the drivers cam
usually has slipped one.

Believe it or not,

John Katos

p.s. Next time I have a V-6 engine out of one of our cars I will video tape
the "Phenomenon".