What's the deal on 164 V6 spark plug wires?

I called up a "local" ex-Alfa dealer to inquire about spark plug wires
for my 164.  The discussion goes something like, "we have them in
stock... they come in sets of three (uh oh I say)... they cost $150/set
for total of $300 (ouch) ... do you have something wrong with your car
because these parts don't normally need to be replaced."  After I
explain that I normally replace the wires around 100k miles or if the
car is on in years, I then get back, "well that's for american
cars...".  I didn't realize that somehow AR had overcome the laws of
physics, but just in case I thought I check with you gurus on wires.  I
know that IAP and Magnecor source wires for the 164, but the question on
durability of the factory wires is what I question.  It is extremely
difficult to know when the wires fail because their resistance
characteristics will change over time.  Unfortunately you can't just go
down to the local Autozone and spend $20 for a set of wires.  So what's
the verdict, is a 9 year old Alfa with 80k miles due for new spark plug
wires?

Thanks,
Carl P.