Two flying stars

The Touring firm actually constructed two different Flying stars,
seperated by over 30 years.  Thanks to John H.'s excellent info and
beautiful photos in Borgeson's Alfa Romeo Tradition,  the first one is
quite visible.  The second, though, was a design prototype built in
1965, for Lamborghini,  called a 400 GTV.  Not as successful as the
first effort. A photo is available in Carrozzeria Touring, in Italian.

Its very interesting to compare the various studies the Italian
carrozzeriae put forth in the early 50's,  especially the rise of the
firm of Bertone, as Zagato and Touring battled it out in the prestige
area for Alfa, Lancia and Aston Martin proposals.  I think the
greatest difference in the later years of these firms is that Zagato
took aerodynamics far more seriously, with far sleeker compositions
realized in the Lancia Appia, Flaminias and even perhaps Aston
Martins.  Then, in 1965, Zagato creates the Lancia Fulvia Zagato, not
only a sleek design, but ending the cut off tail styling, in the
interests of air flow, yet revert to this style with the Alfa Junior Z
a few years later.    Its a shame Touring did not survive to continue
the rivalry.

BTW,  will be joining the Zagato Club of Italy's fall art tour in
Tuscany and I think I can manage not to make any comparisons with any
Tourings.

Ciao,  Jay