Hot 164

My 164S used to run at 200 on the highway and up to 240 in traffic, too.
First I would have the radiator removed and dipped, as well as have the
system flushed. Check all hoses for leaks or cracks.

Parts problems to look for are numerous:
1. The temp. sensor on the radiator shroud can be bad
2. the low and high speed fan relays die
3. the plastic coolant tank can leak at the seams
4. the coolant level sensor cap and the coolant filler cap on the plastic
coolant tank can have bad seals (depressurizing the system)
5. the 60 amp fuse on the firewall can blow, shutting the fan down
completely
6. The temp gauge and overheat light sensor connectors can corrode and give
false readings
7. The thermostat isn't working, or has been replaced with one that opens at
too high a temperature
8. The water pump is failing

I fixed or replaced all the above parts with very little change in running
temperature. The final and only thing I did that worked was to buy a Cool
Control variable temp fan control with its own temp probe, 14" high-speed
fan and 165F thermostat from Tom Zat at Alfa Heaven. The car stays between
175F and 195F no matter what. No interest etc., the stuff simply works.

Rich Lasner
92 164S
Mill Valley CA

End of alfa-digest V7 #732