Re: flying Stars

Well, I accede to John's longer experience in interpretating these things.
to tell the truth, i reread the chapter last night, and I'm still not sure!!
It is clear that it was translated from the usual romantic, formal, stilted
italian, or at the least, written in romantic, formal,and stilted english.
It isn't very linear, and the authors' main concern is tracing the aesthetic
inspiration and flow of design trends, not body counts.  Consequently, there
is a lot of flash backs & forwards in each sentence - all shrouded in floral
verbosity.  I came to my "conclusions" by interpolating the text with the
photo captions (which sometimes are more specific and contain more useful
info).
In any case, not too many of them were built, which is sort of surprising
considering how good looking it is, what a splash the thing made.  I suppose
it is somewhat like haute couture? clients not wishing to be seen at an event
wearing identical dresses.
Andy