RE: Piston - valve kissing

Greetings,

 I too have had alfa V6s jump timing as the result of turning the engine
backwords by hand. In one case a jacked rear wheel was being turned with the
transmission in 5th during valve adjustment of a 2.5l. In the other case the
driveshaft donut of a 3.0l was being changed. In both cases the belts and
mechanical tensioners were new or nearly new. You can say the tensioners
were misadjusted if you like but if so, it must be an extremely critical
adjustment.
 After these two experiences I always make sure and have the spark plugs out
and am VERY careful to not turn the engine backwards. Funny thing is when we
were changing the driveshaft donut we thought we never turned the engine
backwards. We could only assume that we must have when we found the timing
had jumped.

Phil Williams
3 spiders(no timing belts) and a platinum