Re: Poor gas mileage with GTV-6

In a message dated 5/19/99 9:07:39 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

<< I'm pretty sure my car is getting terrible gas mileage,exactly how
 much i don't know.My speedo and trip doesn't work.For the past two weeks
I've
 been using it as a daily driver,using Cheveron 92,and just driving around
 town,it's been sucking down about $40 a week.When the tank gets down to
about
 1/4,periodically I start smelling a little bit of gas fumes coming from the
 back of the car,I checked for any obvious leaks,none.
          The oxygen sensor is disconnected,would that be the cause? >>

You might have other problems, but the "failure mode" for the oxygen sensor
is to send "go rich" signal, so I've been told (I think Fred DiMatteo told me
this years ago...it was somebody who knew their stuff).   A working oxygen
sensor is a good place to start.

	Bill Sims