Re: JB Weld and Other Products

In a message dated 5/18/99 8:17:03 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

<< Anybody have any experience fixing a weepy kind of leak at the crimp
 of the radiator?  Will a product like JB weld stop tiny little leaks >>

When I was Maintenance Manager and Product Life Cycle Manager for the world's
largest trucking company I saved lots of $$$ on radiators by using Alumaseal
(and comparable products).  Worked so well on minor leaks (those radiators
treated lasted longer than rebuilt radiators we learned through component
life analysis) we started using the stuff in a proactive way.  Also increased
water pump life significantly.  Sure, it's a large leap from an 855 cubic
inch Cummins diesel and an 8 ton tractor to an Alfa, but I believe it is no
coincidence I  haven't had but one water pump failure in over 200,000 miles
of Alfas and twice that mileage with British cars (and that 1 failure was in
an abused, unmaintained GTV-6 I had bought to fix up.

Do not buy Prestone Super Duty stop leak; I did once when I had a leaking
radiator, and had to clean out the radiator because it plugged up the core!
Buy the "regular" stuff, either in suspension or powder form.  If that
doesn't fix the leak then you need repairs.

As for JB Weld, the previous owner of my Giulietta tried to stop coolant
weeping around the aluminum plugs in the top of the sand cast head.  Didn't
work and looked bad.  Took the advice of Jim Hayes and added some Stop Leak
and that worked.

	Bill Sims