Turning a V6 backwards

Hey Fred:

I am rasing my hand halve-way as a none believer.  The
reason it is halve-way is because you could be correct
under ideal conditions and wrong under other
conditions that are not so ideal.

I am going to say it is possible for the belt to slip
over the right cam gear (or both) and cause the valves
to touch the pistons if the the force (tension)
required to turn the left cam gear is greater than
what the tensioner can apply to the belt to prevent
the crank gear from transferring the slack from left
side (tensioned) to the right side (non-tensioned).
And it does not matter if the tensioner was installed
by the the book or otherwise the spring is not that
strong.

If there is misalignment in the cam terrain because of
bent cams, non-aligned cam bearings or damaged cam
lobes or followers it would require more force to turn
the cams than what the tensioner can handle.

In my case one of the cam bearing caps on the left
side was too tight which could be the result of
misalignment in the that head.

So my advice is if you can not turn the cam gears with
your hands, it is unlikely that the tensioner can do
its job and hold the slack on its side.  And it is
better to be save than sorry.....do not turn an Alfa
V6 backward.

Later

===
Abe Kheraz