My Friend Ken from Canada

While Mr. Welty decides at what point he is going to fairly enforce his no
firearms policy, I will continue to defend myself from those who refuse to
accept  and to understand facts.
	Ken, if you will reread your letter to me with a bit less emotion, you
will perhaps see that you are making my point for me, about guns, Alfas,
driving, dogs and a good deal else.  The fact that you cannot by your own
admission understand what all the fuss is about is the problem.
	Just so that the cards are on the table, please understand that both my
parents were Canadians.  I know a wee bit about the country and its
politics.  But your statements, inadvertent as they were, really paint the
picture.  America is supposed to be the "land of the free, home of the
brave"  A free man needs no license to have a dog. and according to In Re
Stork , a 1914 California Supreme Court case, he need not have a license to
operate his own automobile non-commercially.  Here in the States, we
believe that the issue is not what one needs but rather what one wants.  So
long as a man or woman practices responsible citizenship (by not harming
another) it is nobody else's business.
	I also note for the record that no correspondent has challened my
assertion that the State owns the Alfa if it has a plate on it.  THAT
should make for appropriate and spirited discourse.  Any takers.
	In closing, guns, especially handguns, are designed to save the life of
the wearer.  That people sometimes die is not necessarily cause for
smelling salts.  After all, we would rather have our wives and daughters
unmollested than the would be rapist alive, well and doing his thing,
wouldn't we?  As for the gentleman from Australia, the attitude is
reminiscent of that in Canada but I suppose enuff said about that>
Steve