Fred's tensioner talk

> From: Ferdinando Di Matteo <ferdinando.di@domain.elided>
> Subject: RE: Piston - valve kissing
>
> I'm going to say this one more time, if the timing belt tensioner(s) are
> properly installed and adjusted by THE book, the engine turning backwards
> will NOT cause the timing belt to slip or jump teeth!  Any none believers
> out there?  Fred Di Matteo  AROC Technical Advisor from Fort Myers, Florida

With all due respect to Fred, I think the concern starts where the word,
"if" comes into play. An unnamed very official source told me that the
new timing belts are good for much more than 30K, but I also don't get a
free motor if it breaks. I guess my point is that it pays to play on the
safe side. I have 34K on my belt, and it looks like new. But I'm not far
from changing it. As far as I know, my belt, installed during the
campaign, was installed correctly. But in Seattle and San Fran, I used a
gear poionting in the direction of the roll...Paranoid? No, but it's a
long walk back to Florida... :o)

When I change this belt soon, I'll also change the tensioner, as this
mechanical one has close to 70K on it. Need to? Probably not, but for
$65, I'll feel safer.

I agree with Fred in principle, but the variable of service quality out
there speaks for itself.

AlfaBill
91 168 B 94k miles

- --
M a s t r o  M o t o r s -
Wholesale Internet Parts for Alfa Romeo & Subaru
http://mastrosubaru.com/parts.htm
http://mastrosubaru.com/superpro.htm
http://mastrosubaru.com/magnecor.htm