Re:Strength of 75/Milano gearbox

>I have heard that the real limiting facter when hot-rodding the 75 is =
>the gearbox. Is this true? How much power can it handle in stock form =
>and how much investment would be needed to handle, say, 300bhp?
>
>Well why not? C'mon I feel the need for a real rocket-sled which can =
>carry 5, luggage, hi-fi and still be an affordable(?!?) Italian. I know =
>the 300 is getting a little hairy perhaps. Surely supercharging and NO2 =
>should do it, no?
>
>Anyone have any Skunkworks donuts?
>
>Now, where is that complete body in carbon-fibre.....
>
>I can dream can't I?

Nick

Go for it! Those gearboxes are strong as. We initially ran the 2 litre
Alfetta version in our 570 hp Alfetta but had troubles with the input
shaft/bellhousing department and things got, shall we say, slightly askew!
We changed to the V6 version and that ended those problems. The car won the
national series and other championships.

There were some internal mods - pure Kiwi design! - like spray jets aimed
at high load/heat producing areas. This sytem was simple and used the
transmission oil pumped by an oil pump driven off the input shaft. Thgere
was also an external oil cooler and heater (for preheating before the warm
up lap).

The driveshaft - in my opinion there is no solution to the problems that
are bound to crop up when putting big horsepower through it. We made up a
new shaft with VW cv joints. A new shaft had to be made up in any case
because the engine sat totally inside the car approx where the centre
console is on Alfetta GTVs with the driver sitting in the left rear seat.

All this said, I think that for only 300 hp, no sweat. The standard system
should handle it because these things are so over-engineered. You should
look at getting a better clutch, though.

Good luck

Les - unashamed admirer of big V8 power - in Wellington, New Zealand