Two opinions, with some Alfa content:

(1) Needless to say, I have opinions on a variety of political and social
issues, but Richard Welty (who has a vested interest in this digest) said
exactly what needs to be said when he wrote:

"this is way off topic for this list, and way off topic for the other list
it originated on. please take it elsewhere, folks; there is no need for the
alfa digest to get buried in a neverending debate on guns."

Anyone who wishes to know my opinions in greater detail, or wishes to flame
me on this, please contact me off-digest.

(2) The Ereminas chassis stiffener might or might not have been a patentable
idea, (or economically patentable, which is effectively the same thing) but
it did take an investment of thought and time and money for Don to develop
and market the original. Patents and copyrights offer very limited protection
against knock-offs, unless the patentee has a big bank-roll for lawyers.
Unless some appreciable portion of the market feels an ethical obligation to
support the innovators rather than the "reverse engineers", innovation is a
fool's game. Count me with Brian Shorey on that issue, and I thank Brian for
speaking up. If the original design was mediocre, and someone wants to market
an appreciably better product, fine, but the recent promotion of the copy was
primarily we-can-do-a-copy-cheaper and, oh, incidentally, we will make it
better where we can. This is a little like the question of supporting the
digest, or taking a free ride. I am glad we have people like Richard Welty,
glad we have people like Don Ereminas, and glad we have some people who will
support some values beyond their own wallets.

John H.
Raleigh, N.C.