Re: Tranny-to-engine studs - 2 liter

The rule on Alfa 8mm studs is 1.25mm pitch going into the Aluminum, and
1.0mm pitch hanging out on the air waiting for a friendly nut. You could
replace the mangled studs with plain 8x1.25mm studs and use coarse nuts,
but that might get you confused on which is which, unless you did them
all. Replacing them with bolts is not that bad an idea. It does make it
easier to remove the tranny. If the threads in the block get damaged, you
can put in a Heli-coil that lets you keep using the bolt forever. Besides,
how often do you separate the engine and tranny?

Look closely at the studs with coarse nuts. Are they really 1.0mm pitch
studs with 1.25 nuts, or did he already replace them with 1.25mm pitch?

Making studs is not a good idea. Studs are supplied hardened with rolled
threads. A piece of rod with cut threads isn't as strong.

If all that doesn't work, you'll just have to get out your gun and shoot
the car. ;=) ;=)