RE: Spider driveline noise?

I had the exact same noises you describe on my 1986 Spider. I first thought
the driveshaft support bearing was the cause because it had tons of slop in
it and the rubber was torn. I replaced the support bearing, the flex donut
and the u-joints. No improvement. I then thought the engine mounts were
causing the thump on take off because the engine was sagging and would
vibrate on the sump guard at a given RPM. I replaced both engine mounts. The
engine sat nice and high and did not vibrate against other parts of the
vehicle but the thump in the driveline was still there. I finally decided to
replace the transmission mount. It looked good and was oriented in the
correct direction. I replaced the mount anyway and the thumping went away
and has not come back for almost 50k miles.

Brad H.

End of alfa-digest V7 #714