Spider driveline noise?

     Looking for the collective wisdom of the A-D:
     As I started up from a stop, in 1st gear, I got a strange thumping
     noise from what felt like the mid to rear of the Spider. It sounded
     like the drive shaft hitting something, 4 times. (Thump, thump, thump,
     thump.) Could this be the time to change motor mounts, trans mount,
     or???  Car has relatively new universal jooints and clutch. (It was
     NOT clutch chatter.)
     Mille grazie,
     Len, 82 Spider