Re: Spider loose wheel stud.

Thanks to everyone who responded, Antonio, Tom Sahines, Carson Damm, Simon
Favre and more.

Well I took the wheel apart last night and had a look in the rotor.  Well it
seems Wheel works were not to blame (although I found out that a trainee was
working on my car and he had not yet learned 'brakes' - are these people
qualified to do their jobs ??)

As suspected the stud was rolling around inside the rotor, on futher inspection
a groove was carved out of the rotor were the flat spot should jam against the
rotor wall. The new stud simply spun around in there.  I looked at the old
stud, some cretan had welded a little 'ear' of metal onto it to stop it from
spinning, crude but effective... for a while.

This scares me, thats a sign of bad work in the past, the groove had not
happened recently, it was the same color as the rest of the rotor, who knows
how long this 'hack' was in place.

so the ultimate question, should I replace the whole rotor (its fine other than
the groove) or tack weld the existing studs in place ?  My bottom line is
safety.

Keith Ahern