A few questions

Hello all,
  	Several questions about my 86 Spider Quad.  The variable valve timing
device is not connected to the valve covers and thus is not adjusting the
valve timing.  What is this costing me in power?  Is it worth fixing?  The
car seems to run fine but the shop priced the part at something the other
side of ridiculous.
	Second question.  My original wheels are really starting to look bad.
 Does anyone have any experience with having wheels chromed?  Should I just
replace them and if so, with what?
Best to all,
Ralph Fox