Yoko AVSis and Tire/Wheel musings.

A few weeks ago, I asked the AD about their collective wisdom on tire choices
for my '74 gtv.  I opted for Yokohama AVSi 195/65-14s.  The gtv has Shankel
springs (not sure whether they are sport or race), Shankel front and rear
sway bars, and spax gas shocks.  The wheels are Ronal 14x6.  I don't know the
model, but they have four large, solid spokes, with single, thin spokes in
between each large one.

Before these tires, I had run a variety of tires, and the car always
experienced a lot of oversteer, which I enjoy, but was ready to remove the
rear sway bar in preparation of the CTAROC time trials.

Well, with the Yokos, in addition to getting gobs more grip, the rear now
stays pretty firmly planted, and the car is essentially neutral.  I can
induce oversteer with some throttle, but it tends towards mild understeer
when taking a curve with no throttle or brake.  The bottom line is that these
tires have transformed the way the "package" comes together.  So, once again,
remember that your car's suspension is a package, which includes the tires.

Also, IMHO, I think any tire wider than the 195s would have been overkill.
Even the 195s seem to be a bit too much tire for this car.  I don't seem to
have any clearance problems, although the fronts look close to the outside
fender lips.  But, I'm starting to wonder when the 25 year old body is going
to start tearing apart.  I'll also argue that it's not quite as much fun
around town now, as you really have to push things (i.e. go much faster) to
get the car to slide.  Others have said it in the past, and I agree, "skinny
tires are fun."

Finally, if I had to do it again, I think I might opt for the 195/60's
instead.  A friend has these on his GTV and the smaller diameter doesn't seem
as noticeable as I thought it would.  I can also feel the 65's side wall flex
a bit more than I expected.  But, I haven't played with air pressures much
yet.

Anyway, some food for thought for those contemplating tires.

Bob Brady, DVAROC
'74 gtv
'88 verde
Yardley, PA