Re: Giulia disk brakes

At 11:52 PM 5/10/99 -0400, Greg Hermann wrote:

>....the front discs on the later ('65) model year Giulia Spider
>Veloces

Oh Boy! A really esoteric discussion - I just love these things.

Now, I don't really know, but let me ask: Were disk brakes
introduced separately for the Veloce and the Normale in '65?
I had always thought that once Alfa switched over to front disks
on the open 101's, they did it on the Normales as well.

>Was there a difference with the Veloce or regular Sprint
>this year?

My understanding is: 1) there were no Giulia Sprint Veloces -
ie, in '64 you could only get a Sprint Normale, and 2) that
Alfa discontinued the 101 Sprint in '65, switching over to the
105 chassis for the Giulia Sprint Veloce.  That switch from 101
to 105 occurred a year earlier for the coupes than for the
spiders - ie, they didn't switch to the 105 Duetto until '66.

>Were any Spider Normales or Sprints ever built with front
>discs?? I doubt it.

Well, again, I'm unclear whether '65 Spider Normales had front
disks - I think they might have.  And, I'm suggesting that no '65
101 Sprints were offerred.  However, one really obscure footnote
is that sometime around '65 - '66, Alfa built a few more 101
Sprints, put 1300 engines in them, and shipped them with front
disk brakes.  Although these were built post-1963, I think they
were badged as Giuliettas, since they had 1300 engines.  Kind of
like a "Giulia Sprint Junior" (though, that name was never
used - at least to my limited knowledge).  I doubt that any of
these were officially shipped to the US, since the 105 series
coupes were in full swing by then.  So, for 5 bonus points: would
the 1300 engines in these cars have been 101, or 105 derived?

Jay Mackro