Re: vegetable oil = brake fluid?

The last car I saw that specified vegetable oil as brake fluid was Peter
Giddings' pre-war Tipo C race car. It had been converted to conventional
brake fluid, but it still had a lovely brass plaque specifying the use of
vegetable oil. I was pitted next to him at a vintage race last year, so I
had to ask.

I would be surprised if Lancia was still specifying this in 1967. I suggest
that any mechanic who does this nowadays isn't doing you any favors. What
happens if you have to have the car serviced someplace else? If this car
has been run on vegetable oil for a long time, I would either keep it that
way until a brake problem developed, then tear the whole system down for new
seals, or just bite the bullet and tear it down right away. Castrol LMA is
very good stuff. Silicone brake fluids have their own host of problems. If
you do switch over, a good DOT4 should be fine. The Castrol seems to be
gentle on the older systems. Since it's the same amount of work to pull all
the hydraulics apart whether you replace the seals or just clean them off,
I would replace them. You also need to replace the flex lines. Any rubber
parts that have soaked in vegetable oil should be replaced.