Re: Spider questions

>1. What is the proper tire pressure for the front and rear tires on the
>car.  I think they are Eagle GT's.

I use 28-30 psi front and 30-32 psi rear.

>2.  I have intsalled Weber carbs on my Spider and almost everytime I
>have to "slam" on the brakes and the nose of the car dives down, the
>RPM's go up.  What would be causing this?  This just started about a
>month or two before I put my Spider in storage.

Sounds like the throttle linkage may need adjustment or you have a motor
mount which is collapsing.

>3. I am thinking of installing a 410 differential on my '79 Spider to
>lower the high end rpm's when I am driving on the interstate.  I did
>some major modifications to the engine when I rebuilt it about two and a
>half years ago (11mm cams, 10.4 pistons, Webers carbs, oversized in and
>ex valves and all the normal rebuild stuff).  It definetly has a lot
>more power, but the gearing of the car seems to be wrong.  Will changing
>the diff. help in attaining more interstate speed?  How much will the
>low end suffer?  Are late model Spider gearboxes the same as my '79
>gearbox?

If you've uprated your engine with high compression pistons and more cam,
it should pull the 4.10:1 gearing with no particular difficulty. I have
it in my '79, fitted with an '82 powertrain and 10.4:1 pistons, and I
like the more relaxed cruising. I don't find it hurts the low end very
much at all.

The gearboxes are the same, the transmission bell housing is a little
different to accomodate the flywheel sensors for the ignition unit on
later cars.

Godfrey