re: Ca Non-operating registration

>A question for californians.  I have a car that is registered in
>CA but is off the road & I expect to be off the road for some
>time.  What are the consequences of renewing the registration as
>a non-op vehicle?  What happens when (if) I want to put back on
>the road.  I know the fee is $10.yr (such a deal!).  The car is a
>"73 so smog testing will not be an issue.  Any snags?

The fee is now a one-time $10 (used to be $5 renewable every year),
payable only at annual registration time. If you're late on registration
fees, you pay the normal amount and then put it on non-op the following
year.

When returning the car to the road, if you're not doing it at normal
annual due dates, you pay for the entire registration year in which you
are returning it to the road. If your car requires a smog inspection, you
file the fees and obtain a temporary road use permit to bring it in for
certification, then your registration is issued.

I just did this with FrankenSpider and it was fairly painless as DMV
interactions go, although I swear the clowns at the DMV and AAA would do
better to write circus acts rather than procedure manuals and software.

Godfrey