Re: Borrani Wheels for '63 2600 Sprint

In AD 7-691 Ray Lepera, who has a '63 2600 Sprint, asks:

"Any thoughts on changing fron the 400mm stock wheels to Borrani? I have
heard that TR3 hubs work, but that Austin-Healy hubs are larger and a better
fit. Anyone have a source for 16" Borrani wheels? I figure that would be the
best fit since the 400mm stock wheels are 15-3/4" in diameter. I also am in
the mood to upgrade the rear drums to the next model years rear disks-any
thoughts?"

An acquaintance got fresh wires- plated hubs, stainless spokes, and alloy
rims- for his 1900 from Motor Wheel Service & Repair Co., MWS House, Elder
Way, Langley Business Park, Station Road, Langley SL3 6EP, England (fax 01753
547170) for a surprisingly modest cost. (They are a Borrani dealer). In his
case he had the original splined hubs and did not need adapters, but MWS was
able as a matter of course to mix-and-match hubs, spokes, rim diameter and
width, as well as offset, number of spokes and lacing pattern. There are two
or three international standard spline sets used for wire wheels, they (or
another supplier) should be able to recommend adapters to fit the
bolt-pattern, possibly with some machining required. Also in his case there
was a difference in the internal taper of the Alfa Romeo knock-offs which he
wanted to reuse, so some machining was required there. Knock-offs with the
Alfa Romeo script cast-in are probably unobtainable (unless ReOriginals or
someone else is having them replicated) so you may have to settle for Offside
Undo. You would also have the option of the hexnut (or octagon? forget which)
which Germany mandated for pedestrian safety. Other suppliers (Dayton Wire
Wheel for one) should be able to do the job also.

On upgrading the rear drums to later rear disks, I would go exactly the
opposite way. There is no question that if planning on running at le Mans
disks will outbrake drums, and they were the New! Novel! Nifty! State of the
Art! when adopted, but Alfa's drum brakes were damned good, and also gorgeous
to behold, as well as being the highest state of development and execution
that particular technology reached. Which (being damned good, gorgeous to
behold, and the highest state of development and execution that particular
technology reached) are the reasons I would consider owning an Alfa of the
sixties. It might be an anachronism, costing points-off at Pebble Beach, but
if I were wire-wheeling a 2600 I would drum-brake it also.

John H.
Raleigh, N.C.

End of alfa-digest V7 #692