Spider fly wheels bolts

Removed the flywheel on the '74 SPider last night to replace rear seal (w=
ith
help from Tom Norton etal - thanks).  What was apparent is that the bolts=
 had
been loc-tighted in the past.  Now the Haynes manual indicates that the b=
olts
should be tightened to some specified torque with OILED threads!

So my question is... to oil or loc-tight, which is correct??

BTW; two of us could not remove the trans from engine (in the car) so bot=
came out last night.  We had wrestled the trans for 3 hrs (slow learners?=
?!!)@
the week end - it was hung up around the locating pin just above the star=
ter -
corrosion...25 yrs takes its toll!!!  Even with whole unit out on the flo=
or it
took a fair bit of effort to separate.  The moral of this story...it's no=
much more effort to remove both eng & trans when replacing clutch...which=
 is
why this exercise started! Lots of life left on clutch plate but we think=
 the
pressure plate must have failed to cause the sudden clutch slippage
experienced - everything else looks OK(??).

Ralph
Houston, TX

Get free e-mail and a permanent address at http://www.amexmail.com/?A=3D1=