cam cover gaskets

I picked this tip up from Ivo Giuliani a legendary Italian Mechanic from
Salem, Oregon, (now long retired). Ivo always cleaned up both sealing surfaces
then wiped them with laquer thinner. He then roughed up the sealing surface on
the cam cover with sand paper and re-wiped it. This is the different part: he
coated one side of the cam cover gasket with a good quality contact cement,
while it was drying, he coated the sealing surface on the cam cover with
cement. He let both dry for 15 or 20 minutes. He then put a piece of clean
paper on the cam cover just leaving the front edge exposed, positioning the
gasket and sticking it down to the exposed cover as he then pulled the paper
out. (you only get one chance if you want a good seal, so put it where it
belongs before it sticks)! Ivo then set the cover, gasket side down, on a
clean and flat surface and wieghted it. (I use my 50 lb Shot bag). He let it
dry for the afternoon. When he installed it on the head the cam were nuts snug
but not over tight. He always used new 1/2 moon gaskets too, I have seen him
discard new ones that were old and hard, in favor of softer ones. His cam
covers never leaked, neither do mine, I do it the same way!
Ciao,
Bill Gillham
Black '59
Red '61