AC noise 164L

I tried to post this earlier to alfa-digest@domain.elided, without success.
Trying alfa@domain.elided. The thread was some time ago, so may have lost
relevance, if so, sorry.

I have a 91 164L which had the AC clutch fail in a big way, requiring a new
clutch and rebuilt compressor. The symptoms were pretty minimal before the
failure, but I had intermittent belt squeal which was adjusted several
times and then vague noises from the belt area. Then the clutch bearing
failed and seized on the compressor shaft. Particularly frustrating was the
fact that the alternator is driven off the AC pulley, so you cannot limp
home by removing the AC belt as that stops the alternator drive. ALFA, are
you listening? This is sooo dumb.

I suggest that proper belt tension be checked regularly on these Alfa V6's
as I suspect an overloaded bearing may have contributed to this failure. I
read somewhere that the AC compressor on the 164 is vulnerable to dirt
contamination because of the exposed location on the lower front of the
engine compartment (i.e. "right" side of the engine looking at the pulley
end), but I'm sceptical because the front of the engine compartment does
not seem prone to splashing or excessive dust.

Michael Smith
Calgary, Alberta
Canada

91 164L