re: Synthetic Oil & Flat Cams

Tom,  I don't have any experience with the Alfa V-6, but the other car I
drive, Taurus SHO, has a high-revving Yamaha 24 valve DOHC V-6.  One of
the top rated mechanics that works on these engines has made this same
claim for that engine.  He's never tried to give an explanation like you
did, but rather tries to talk people out of synthetic oil based on his
experiences.

My biggest gripe on synthetic oil is that it seems to find its way or
even make leaks that weren't there.  Given that the Alfa V-6 uses enough
oil as it is anyway under normal circumstances, I see no reason to dump
synthetic oil in the engine.

Carl P.
1991 164 w/80k miles