RE:Synthetic Oil & Flat Cams

                                          9:01 AM             5/4/99

>>I have heard of more than one case of rapid cam lobe
deterioration (in under, say, 10K miles) after switching
to synthetic oil from conventional oil on Alfa V-6es
with around 60K - 80K miles.

My experience seems to support this. I switched to synthetic when I =
bought my Milano 2.5 at ~60K miles, and had significant wear on my stock =
cams when I changed to 164S cams at 86K miles. The wear was especially =
bad on the #5.

Even though I used synthetic I do not allow long change intervals, and =
also never rev when cold. However, the miles after switching to synthetic =
were definitely hard and fun, for the car and me, respectively.

Joe Cabibbo - Madison, WI
FORZA Modern Media <www.forza-mm.com>
'89 Milano
'87 Milano (parts)