stuck 164 shifter...

Ross,
We've had the same problem on our '94.  The problem is in the shifter lock
mechanism- the one that prevents you to shift without your foot on the
brake and finger on the button.

The button is the key here.  When you push it in, it pushes a small wheel
down the shaft of the shift rod to unlock the mechanism.  On ours, the
wheel actually broke, and we had to replace it.  Since then, the darn thing
will get stuck, and we have to give it a good whack.

The whole top of the shifter will come off if you pull straight up- be careful-
don't have your head directly over it, or you will punch yourself in the
face!  (Ines did it once)  After you get it off, you can see if the wheel is
broken, or if it just needs a good whack once in a while.  If its broken,
find a place where they have many, old broken down cars, and take the part
from that- thats what we did.

Good luck
Eric Storhok
Ann Arbor, MI