Selespeed Impressions con't

Michael asks:

Does the downshift upset the car? ...because it doesn't exactly happen when
and how you want it?

You tell it to do it so therefore you are going to be ready for it. The
trick is learning the exact time it takes to happen (it's more or less the
same every time, but varies slightly due to the need to match different
revs) so you can co-ordinate it with your braking and ETA at the corner. It
takes some getting used to because normally you control the clutch pedal and
instictively your left foot is talkinmg to your other limbs re timing. In
this case the computer is automatically timing the left foot. (Which is
usefull now for braking I am finding). I am finding that I you judge your
downshift instructions so the engine "blips" up to the same revs on each
downshift it makes for consistent timed changes, you need to learn the feel
of the ratio's.

Joshua asks:

1    under the City mode, read somewhere that the shifts are rather jerky,
is that true?

No. There is a smooth progression between gears as if you were sitting in
the passenger seat while someone else drove you in a manual car. You still
get the on/off/on power sensation of a manual which is strange at first.
It's not smooth like an Auto with a torque converter which could be the
meaning of the question. This is because it is not an of course Auto, it is
a manual with gear selection and a clutch.

2    City mode again: does it shift at fixed rpm? what rpm at each gear?

It "appears" to move the shift points based on throttle position. The shift
points are lower than what you may expect..geared for "relaxed" driving. I
must confess I have spent little time in City (Auto) mode. (Grin).

3    City mode: what happens when you stab at the throttle pedal? does it
now shift at a higher rpm?

Yes, and it downshifts to a lower ratio like a regular Auto. Both on
acceleration and deceleration. It will also hold a lower gear going downhill
if the brake is applied so you get full engine braking unlike an Auto. Yes,
it's smart.

Regds

Bill
Yes, I'm a lucky bastard...for a change!!!